What’s the deal with eggs and toast lately? It seems like no one can get enough. All anyone wants to talk about it that perfect egg, how to achieve it, how to consume it. And we all thought cooking eggs was like the easiest thing to do and now our whole world is being turned upside down because we just found out that we have been cooking eggs wrong our whole lives.
And don’t even get me started with the toast thing…. I’m actually having a hard time posting about toast. Like stick in the toaster, smear some PB and honey on it call it good amiright? Wrong. Toast has decided to ditch the ball cap and jeans in favor of a ball gown and diamond accessories. Toast is a fancy thing now. While I’ve been fancying up my toasts (formerly known as an open faced sandwich) for years, it has never seemed to me like the kind of thing that needed a recipe. Yet here I am, jumping on the bandwagon.
So anyways here’s my toast today. Jalapeño cheddar loaf, cottage cheese, chilies in adobo, smoked salmon- because you know that’s my thing right now- avocado, sunny side up egg, cracked black pepper and Hepp’s Applewood Smoked Salt. It’s pretty damn delicious. The smokiness and spice of the adobo pairs so well with the smoked salmon and what better way to tame spiciness than with avocado? It’s a simple meal (toast is a meal when you make it like this- who knew?), but oh so good.
- Toast a thick slice of bread to your desired toastiness.
- Smear on 2 heaping TBS of cottage cheese.
- Smear with 1/2 tsp of chopped chilies in adobo.
- Layer on 3 slices of smoked salmon.
- Add three slices of avocado.
- Top with an egg, sunny side up cooked in ghee (clarified butter) was my choice but make it how you like. Eggs don’t have to be complicated. Heck scramble it if that’s how you like it.
- Too with fresh cracked black pepper and smoked salt.