HI!!!!! I missed you! I know I have been posting way less than usual but my crazy schedule means little time to cook let alone taking pictures and writing about it. Saturday was my first morning free in a long time, and oh did I take advantage of it. I stayed in pjs till 11 and make a yummy breakfast smoothie bowl that I am about to share with you now. I love that we get to do all the things that we do, but sometimes I just need a lazy morning with my dog and my coffee to re-set and relax.
This smoothie bowl is heavenly. It’s really easy to make, it tastes light and fresh and delicious and it looks absolutely beautiful. To make the first half, stir together plain greek yogurt, shredded unsweetened coconut, coconut milk, and granulated honey. You could use regular honey, it just won’t blend as easily. I’m totally obsessed with the granulated honey from Whole Spice that I got in my Hatchery Box last month. I can’t wait to share the cocktail I have been tinkering with…I hope to find time to perfect it and photograph soon. This combo is delicious in itself and I can totally see this becoming a weekday breakfast on it’s own, maybe make the night before and add chia seeds and extra coconut milk? Oh man, I can’t wait to try that.
But then we take it to the next level and blend frozen banana, fresh strawberries and more coconut milk and layer it together with the yogurt. Top with some granola and some fresh banana and strawberry and you have a meal so pretty you won’t be able to stop taking photos, even after you’ve eaten half of it.
I always keep at least a few cups of frozen bananas in the freezer for smoothies, like Eric’s favorite Banana, Almond, Oat Smoothie. If you don’t have any then you can use ice, but reduce the amount of coconut milk. I also used Silk Unsweetened Coconut Milk instead of canned coconut milk for a lighter, lower calorie smoothie.
Okay, let’s talk matcha. I am a matcha newbie and I feel like there is still a lot I am missing out on/need to learn. I bought my matcha from Season with Spice, it is very reasonably priced and from what I read you don’t need the super fancy stuff if you are using it for what I am using it for. In the end, I love the taste of it and that’s what matters. If you have any recipes or ways you like to use please share them with me!
- 1 frozen banana
- 4 small strawberries, leave the tops on
- 3-4 TBS of coconut milk, divided
- 1/2 c plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp of granulated honey
- 1/2 tsp of matcha powder
- 2 tsp shredded unsweetened coconut
- In a bowl stir together the greek yogurt, matcha, granulated honey, shredded coconut, and 1 TBS of coconut milk. Set aside.
- Place the frozen banana, strawberries and 2 TBS of coconut milk and blend on high until smooth. You may need to add a little bit more coconut milk, but keep the mixture thick as you will be eating with a spoon not a straw.
- Layer the two mixtures together in a bowl and top with topping of your choice like granola, more shredded coconut, sliced strawberries and bananas.