I love Thanksgiving. It is my favorite holiday. It’s a time to spend with family and extended family and friends to tell them how much you appreciate them. And in my family the food is also very (!!!) important- so much so that we actually split the day into two parts. The first part is Vietnamese style. My grandma makes Pho and egg rolls and we have that as brunch. Then for dinner we have a more traditional meal with ham and mashed potatoes and green bean casserole. Talk about a food coma. But man is it delicious. And the soup is light and low fat so, it’s not that bad, right? Whatever. I don’t really care. It only happens once a year and it’s just too good to care.
Anyways. With all that food there are always a ton of leftovers. And don’t get me wrong, I love leftovers. But there are only so many times I can eat the exact same meal before I get tired of it. There are so many ways to transform your Thanksgiving leftovers- potato pancakes, turkey sandwiches with cranberry and cream cheese, green bean casserole soup…… But I came up with a new leftover mash up that is probably one of my favorites yet: poblano peppers stuffed with leftover mashed potatoes, turkey and corn and smothered in enchilada sauce and cheese. It’s so good. I’ll probably make it throughout the year with chicken instead of turkey. Yum.
Remove the seeds and stem of the poblano peppers and cut them in half. Place the cut side down in a baking dish, drizzle with oil and bake at 400 for about 10 minutes until the skin starts to bubble. Then stuff them with leftover mashed potatoes, diced turkey, and frozen corn. Drizzle with enchilada sauce and cover with a handful of shredded pepper jack cheese and bake till bubbly and golden.
What is your favorite way to eat Thanksgiving leftovers?
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 4 poblano peppers
- 1.5 c of leftover mashed potatoes
- 1/2 c frozen sweet corn
- 1.5 c diced turkey (or chicken)
- 1 10 oz can of green enchilada sauce
- 1 c shredded pepper jack cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 400f
- Remove the seeds and stem of the poblano peppers and cut them in half
- Place the cut side down in a baking dish, drizzle with oil and bake for about 10 minutes until the skin starts to bubble. Remove from oven and let cool for a minute. Reduce temperature to 350
- While poblanos cool mix the turkey, mashed potatoes and corn together in a bowl.
- Spoon the potato mixture evenly into the pepper halves. Drizzle enchilada sauce over the peppers, pour any extra into the bottom of the baking dish.
- Top with shredded pepper jack cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes until the cheese starts to bubble and brown.
Hey there, long time no talk. I know, I have been totally MIA lately, and you were concerned that maybe I had given up blogging or some other terrible thing. But I am back! I am not giving up. Life just has a way of getting in the way. Things like vacation, moving, new jobs, and wedding related activities are just too exciting to give full attention to and unfortunately blogging has not been on my priorities list. That is going to change, I promise. I have so many good things stored up just waiting to be shared so I decided I am going to share regularly even if it isn’t a recipe. Here’s the first of my Friday Favorites- enjoy!
- Lavender Honey from Newkirk– OMG it’s amazing. I got some in my August Hatchery box and it took me less than 6 hours to figure out to use it up in a cocktail of whiskey, lemon juice, and lavender honey and chamomile lavender honey scones (recipe coming soon). You can get a 14 oz bottle of it at Newark Honey website for $15.00. They also sell Honeycomb, 12 oz for $18.00. A bit pricey but oh so worth every sticky drop. Add it to chamomile tea for an extra soothing evening drink, drizzle it on oatmeal with nuts, seeds and berries, add to cocktails, drizzle over yogurt with granola…..or just eat it with a spoon. YUM!
- Baby Shower games- If you have spent any significant amount of time with me lately, or follow me on Pinterest, then you know I have major baby fever. I am pinning parenting articles, baby shower ideas, maternity clothing sites, ALL the baby things. It’ nuts I know because we have already discussed this and we have decided that we are at LEAST 1 year away from even trying to get pregnant. But, one can never be too prepared and this Buzzfeed article is on point. So many creative and fun games that you probably haven’t played. If you put me in charge of your baby shower we will definitely be playing sperm corn home and pin the sperm on the egg.
- Corn- I was distraught to discover this week, after days of discomfort and a lot of thought and research into what could be causing it, I have discovered that corn, that sweet, crunchy, delectable vegetable I love so much, is the culprit of my discomfort. Unfortunately for me this means cutting back (not giving it up completely I hope) until I discover the quantity/preparation that my body can handle, along with digestive enzymes, without the pain. I am going to share with you my absolute, without a doubt favorite way to eat corn to make me feel a little bit better. You HAVE to try this (and the spring onion omelette she mentions at the end of the post too), and you should probably follow Kellie’s blog too, she is quite amazing. The recipe and link to her blog is here- Food to Glow. I don’t bother steaming them they just get slathered in the good sauce and slapped straight on the grill over medium with the lid closed turning every 5 minutes until done. Sad day…
- Pasta Chips– has anyone else tried these? I think they are amazing! They are crackers that taste like pasta. They reminded me a bit of crispy fried raviolis, minus the stuffing. So far I have dunked them in cream cheese with sweet red pepper relish, vodka sauce, and topped them with mozzarella, basil and sun dried tomato. All were delicious.
- Gigi New York- I have been obsessed with these purses for well over a year now. I am in the market for a new purse and spent the whole week stalking the website putting a purse in my cart, leaving it, returning to the cart to stare longingly at the beauty within, just to leave it again. Today I put my foot down, told myself that I would not regret it, and hit “proceed to checkout.” Excuse me while I wait anxiously at the front door waiting for the delivery man…. Gigi purses are elegant, high quality and classy and you can personalize any item with up to three initials. I seriously can’t wait- here is what I got. And this too, I had to. Happy belated birthday to me?
There you have it. Have a very happy weekend friends!