Good morning! I have a treat for you today. This recipe I am sharing seemed so appropriate for Sunday- it’s a total brunchy/Sunday luncheony type recipe. So…Remember when I had an obsession with smoked salmon? Well, I’m still not over it yet. I am finding way to sneak it into everything possible. I have been toying with this recipe since Easter and now it is finally ready to share. These deviled eggs are divine, no really. They are topped off with Hepp’s Salt Barrel Applewood Smoked Salt (affiliate link) so you get this sweet, smokey, and creamy bite with a little crunch from the green onion. Perfection. And I even ate one for breakfast. I like using a little bit of cream cheese in them too, because cream cheese and smoked salmon go together like peanut butter and jelly.
Hard boiled eggs can be tricky, they need to be fully cooked to make a nice smooth filling for deviled eggs, but overdone yolks have that awful grey green color and can be extra dry. I use my mom’s tried and true way of making perfect hard boiled eggs. Make sure to place the eggs in cold water, cover and heat until boiling. Remove from heat and set a timer for 13 minutes. After 13 minutes, remove them and place them immediately in a giant bowl of ice water. Once they are cooled enough to touch, tap them on the counter so that ice water goes into the cracks and helps separate the egg from the film and egg shell and put back into the water until completely cool before removing the shells completely.
I also recommend these as a great brunch item, they would go so nicely with a mimosa, or a Bloody Mary if you are into those. I have yet to try one I liked, but as always my mind is open and I am determined to try it till I like it. One day. But, you know what these would go exceptionally well with? A nice and toasty everything bagel. Because smoked salmon|cream cheese| bagel, duh.
I just spooned the mixture in because I got lazy but they would probably be prettier if piped in, but if your family is like mine they will be devoured within minutes and no one will notice they were spooned not piped- all they will remember is how good they tasted.
- 12 eggs
- 1/4 c cream cheese
- 2 TBS smoked salmon, minced
- 3 TBS honey mustard dressing
- 1/2 tsp dill
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked salt like Hepp’s Applewood Smoked Salt
- 1 green onion
- 1 TBS mayo
- Fill a large pot with cold water and put the eggs in. Cover and bring to a boil, once boiling remove from heat and leave covered for 13 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl of ice water for 2 minutes, tap each egg on the counter to crack the shell and place back in the ice water for another minute. Remove eggs from water and remove the shells.
- Cut each egg in half lengthwise, pop the yolks out into a large mixing bowl.
- Add all remaining ingredients except the salt and green onion and mix thoroughly.
- Spoon a heaping teaspoon into each egg white half, you may have a little left over, or you can try to fit it all in.
- Top with green onion and smoked salt